Latest News

Comcast Streampix Takes Aim at Netflix

I really like Netflix and other streaming services for movies and TV shows. I have always hoped that eventually there would be a lot more competition in the market and that would push movie studios and other content providers to allow more streaming content overall. If you are a fan of streaming content like me you might appreciate a new offering, Comcast called Streampix.
Streampix will allow you to view content on the web, your iPad and other mobile devices as well. There is a catch with the service though, it will only be offered to subscribers of Comcast cable. That means if you’re like me you live in an area where Comcast isn’t available you won’t be able to get access. For those that can get access it will cost an extra $4.99 per month. Apparently, it will be offered at no additional cost on some cable packages (like those expensive “Triple Play” bundles).

While Comcast has already been offering on-demand movies, the streaming service will offer past seasons of TV shows like 30 Rock, Lost, and many more. It will also have movies like Oceans 11, The Big Lebowski and others. I wonder if the service being tied specifically to a cable company if that will mean Streampix might get content that Netflix is unable to access.

1 Response to "Comcast Streampix Takes Aim at Netflix"

  1. Streampix I am sure will be a great add on for Comcast customer who want something new from Comcast other then a rate hike, oh woops this costs more. That is the part of Streampix that I don’t understand because Comcast has a huge streaming archive for their subscribers that are free, so why add a pay tier with only 6 networks on it? Working at DISH I have seen streaming come to prominence is last few years, and it will become even more of a staple as time goes by. When I look at streaming apps, it wasn’t hard for me to decide to add the Blockbuster @home plan to my DISH package, not only does it add 20 movie channels to my receiver, it adds thousands of on demand movies and show to my television and computer. If I can’t find anything to wet my whistles there I have access to DVD by mail, with in store exchange.

    ReplyDelete